Big Brothers Big Sisters of Palm Beach and Martin Counties is always looking for volunteers to be mentors, to help with special events, and more!
There is no other way to put it: becoming a “Big” changes lives of kids in Palm Beach and Martin. Being a Big Brother or Big Sister is one of the most enjoyable things you’ll ever do. Not to mention, one of the most fulfilling. You have the opportunity to help shape a child’s future for the better by empowering him or her to achieve. You and your Little can share the kinds of activities you already like to do.
For a few hours, a couple times a month, you can give a Little invaluable gift of your friendship. By simply changing their perspective of what the world can offer, you can literally start changing their lives. And sometimes it’s as simple as playing a board game, going to a park, or just hanging out. Children are between 6-15 years old. All parties are interviewed so we can make the best match and will include considerations such as location, interests, skills, hobbies, and other preferences. Mentoring is fun!
Prematch Training– This online course is the first of its kind and is a series of educational video lessons centered around the BBBS Pre-Match Training. There is no sign in required, click on the link to get started! *Please note if you click links on their website it will link to a Texas Big Brothers Big Sisters. *
The safety of our children is the highest priority for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Here are some basic eligibility criteria:
1. Be at least 18 years old
2. Must reside in northern Palm Beach County or Martin County. Attention Southern Palm Beach volunteers: We thank you for your interest in changing lives, unfortunately due to funding restrictions we are only offering volunteer openings in our site based programs (see below). We apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you will consider partnering with us in site based, as a donor, or via the options below.
3. Agree to visit your Little on average two times a month (Must have your own car). Once a Big is matched with a Little, they will decide how often they will meet and works best for their relationship and schedules. You may share favorite hobbies or interests, or try new ones.
4. Complete a fingerprint background screen. Results will be evaluated by program managers for approval. Are you interested in underwriting the cost of your background check? There are two levels of sponsorship. The total cost for the comprehensive background screening is $125. The cost of Level 2 finger print processing is $35. Please consider sponsoring the cost of your background screening by donating here!
4. Must have proof of auto insurance and an acceptable driving record with no DUI convictions in the past 5 years
5. We ask that all potential Bigs (as well as Littles and their parents) commit to at least one full year of mentoring. Through research we have found one year is the minimum target time frame for these relationships to have a lasting impact, but we hope your relationship lasts much longer!
1. Must be in high school or an adult
2. Must provide 2 references, one school reference if still in high school. Adults must complete a fingerprint background screen.Results will be evaluated by program managers for approval. Are you interested in underwriting the cost of your background check? There are two levels of sponsorship. The total cost for the comprehensive background screening is $125. The cost of Level 2 finger print processing is $35. Please consider sponsoring the cost of your background screening by donating here!
3. Must commit to one full school year.
4. Must be able to visit your Little weekly (providing your own transportation).
5. Spend 1 hour per week with your Little at a participating after school sites. Martin county adults may visit during the school day or during after school.
We are always looking for in-kind donations, both for our office and our Littles! Have something to share? Check out our latest list of individual and group volunteer opportunities that are not mentoring.
- Digital Camera for each match and events
- Laptop (with current operating system) for interviews on and off-site
- Wii remotes, games & accessories
- Host an activity for the kids on our waiting list (Movie Night, Game Night, Trick or Treating, holiday party).
- Host a “fun”rasier (Ask for donations of board games/science activities for our school based programs).
- Host a “friend”raiser (Ask for mentors at your business, group, ministry, school, etc.)
- Intern/work in the office with us (Marketing, Social Services, Education, Recruiters, Customer Relations, Photography).
- Share your experience with a group, choose a site based elementary school to visit once a month. You can show them a science project, show them what a day in your career looks like, practice counting money, etc.
- Host a “penny war” between departments other affiliates to raise funds, earn bragging rights, and create a fun competitive team activity
- Host a bake off between different departments. Charge other employees/guests a price for the goods, the department who raises the most wins!
- As a reward, give the winning team tickets to one of our signature events where they’ll not only have fun, they’ll see how they’ve made an impact
- Volunteer mentors for our community program in Martin County or in Palm Beach. Willing to be a supportive friend to a child facing adversity & able to devote 4 hours a month for a minimum of one year.
- Volunteer mentors for our site based program. One hour, once a week during after school hours. High School students and adults are welcome.
- Donate tickets to sporting events, theaters, season tickets, etc. and we’ll give them to mentors or families
- Gift basket items such as a gift card, spa package, hotel stays, wine, etc. that we can raffle or put as a silent auction item
Don’t have time to mentor? See our Donation page. Your gift can help children in the area who are receiving mentoring or waiting for a mentor.
Have something else to give? Call our office! 561-727-3450 Ext. 1
Looking to utilize other skills? Volunteer to help us at the office! We are always looking for administrative help! Contact our office for more information on available volunteer positions. Writing press releases, making phone calls, filing, creating invitations, etc.